Sunday, August 6, 2017

THINK THE THOUGHT BUT DON'T BE THE THOUGHT

Good Morning!  I'm back from my weekend meditation retreat and like last time, it was wonderful.  Retreats are definitely things you can and should go back to as you get something different out of them every time.

Reflecting on my time there, today's quote is "Human beings have thoughts - our challenge is to observe them and not become them."  That was just one thing I got out of my weekend but certainly an important piece.  We all know that and we have all heard that but how many of us can really do just that?  Observe our thoughts and not be our thoughts.  That is a very difficult thing to do.  In meditation our job is to watch as our thoughts come and go.  To allow them to enter our minds and to easily let them leave.  But we don't do that. 

We hang onto those thoughts for dear life as if they are a life preserver but they don't save us.  In fact they help us drown.  The thoughts we usually hold onto are the ones we are afraid of.  The things we are afraid of such as "what will happen if?" "What am I going to do if?" "How am I ever going to?" and on and on.  Why is it that we don't hang on to, "Look what a great job I did when I," "I can't believe I was able to," and so on. 

We don't hold onto good thoughts because we don't believe in ourselves enough.  We don't give ourselves enough credit and positive feedback.  What this weekend's meditation taught me to do is to be an observer of my own thoughts and once I observe them to release them.  To free my mind so there is room not just for positivity but for observation for the pure sake of observation. 

A bad thought comes in.  Look at it.  See it.  Feel it.  Maybe you know where it came from or maybe you don't but after you have looked at it, seen it and felt it, you can let it go.  Things happen to us.  Things that are good and things that are bad.  Don't hold onto good things either because you need to make room for more good in your life.  Some of us walk around with the notion that you can't possibly have too many positive things in your life.  That is absolutely wrong and it comes from a place where you feel you don't deserve to be happy.

Everyone deserves good things and everyone deserves happiness.  If you have tried meditating but feel you are not good at it, try again and again.  It takes time, patience and practice.  Don't be afraid of your thoughts.  Only you know what they are.  Understand that you have more power and control than you are aware.  Don't give that negativity power that it does not deserve.  Remember, you are stronger than your thoughts, after all, they are not real, they are figments of your own creation. 

Have a wonderful Monday all!~Love, Amy



No comments:

Post a Comment