Tuesday, April 28, 2020

SPEAKING IN LOW TONES

Good morning everyone!  Happy Tuesday.  Are you a loud talker?  I tend to speak very softly.  I actually have a hard time speaking loudly unless of course I'm yelling to find out who left an inch of milk in the fridge.  Then I'm sure that even the neighbors can hear me.

Are you aware that something else can be spoken using your softest voice?  That something is your character.  That part of you that comes through by the words you use and the way you use them.  Today's quote is, "The volume of your character is heard through what you say and how it is spoken."

I love sarcasm but sarcasm used inappropriately can be mean and cutting.  If that is your intention what does that say about your character?  Words are powerful enough without adding an unnecessary bite.  Years ago I had heard of a local consignment shop that sold clothing.  My kids were young, I had a lot of clothes I no longer wore and I thought it might be a good way to make some extra cash.

I brought three hefty bags full of clothing to the owner.  Unaware that she only took designer duds, my bags were filled with clothes from The Gap, TJMaxx and Marshalls.  Rather than lying to me, (yes, in this case a white lie would have been fine) she looked at me in disgust and in quite a nasty tone said, "I can't sell these, they are all out of style and no one would wear these."

I have good taste and thought of myself as a spiffy dresser.  Guess she set me straight.  I walked out filled with doubt but also embarrassment.  I felt horrible.  Here I was an adult woman almost in tears because someone not only didn't want what I had but insulted me as well.

Could this have been handled differently?  Of course.  That's where the white lie comes in.  Her character came through in flying shades of fushia.  Speak your mind, say what you mean but speak as though you are on the other end of that conversation.  If you do you are sure to speak with kindness, compassion and love.

Have a wonderful Tuesday everyone! ~Love, Amy


To learn more about what I do, visit my website:https://amykaufman.co
To schedule an in-person or remote Reiki session with me, visit my website:https://amykaufman.co/private sessions OR email me at amy@amykaufman.co


No comments:

Post a Comment