Monday, January 16, 2017

GRATITUDE IS KEY

Good Morning and Happy Monday on this Martin Luther King Day. Hopefully you all have a day to yourself.  My house is so quiet right now.  Not even the baby is awake.  No I don't have a baby.  We all refer to my dog Mia as the baby because she is...well, the baby!  

I never wanted a dog.  NEVER!  My kids as all kids do wanted a dog more than breath in their lungs. Too much work but over time and not that much time, I grew to love her.  I too begged and begged but nothing changed in my household growing up and so I learned to be happy with what I did have.  I didn't have a dog, but I had goldfish and a turtle.  I had a goldfish named Sam and he lived for 6 months!  Crazy right?!  Nothing special, just a fish store gold fish that we all assumed would be dead the next week but he lived!  And he lived!  I remember being really sad when he finally did die and my mom and brother and I had a little ceremony over the toilet bowl as we said our farewells to Sam.  

I was happy with Sam and I was happy with my turtle.  I even had a pet salamander for a brief time until we realized he shouldn't live his life in a cup.  But I was happy with what I did have.  I was never getting a dog and instead of wishing and pining for what would never be, I was happy with what was.  

How many of us can say that?  Today's quote is, "Instead of wishing for what you don't have - show gratitude for what  you do have."  Why is it that for most of us we concentrate on what we do not have?  I moved up here after having lived in a beautiful 1 bedroom 1 bathroom apartment in New York City to a house with 3 bathrooms!  I was in heaven.  I had lots of space and a beautiful backyard.  Still do as I still am in my same home, however when my oldest son went to pre-school I was surrounded by people who had really big homes.  I would take him to play dates and come home upset because I didn't have a big home.  

When I think of it now I get upset with myself.  My husband and I worked very hard for what we did have and for the home that together we had purchased.  How dare I put that down.  But I did.  The truth is that I didn't want the life that any of those people had, I wanted my life!  You see you can't just trade in the big house, or the better car.  It's the entire life you need to trade.  It was then I realized, you know what?  I have a wonderful life.  A loving husband, 3 beautiful children and yes, a beautiful home. 

Teach your children gratitude but it must come from you first.  Let them know there is ALWAYS someone with more whatever that more is.  We all work hard for what we have and we all need to take the time to thank ourselves for what our hard work brought us.  Life should always be lived in gratitude because when it does, you will truly be a happier you!  Have a wonderful day however you are spending it and if like me you are cleaning today, be grateful that you have a home to clean! ~Love, Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment