Sunday, June 4, 2017

MY MEDITATION WEEKEND

A good afternoon to you all!  I have returned from my meditation retreat.  I had no idea what to expect.  I was a bit nervous and a bit excited upon going there but I have absolutely no regrets.  When does one allow themselves complete peace and rest?  Hard question to answer right?  We are all so busy with our families, our schedules, their schedules, work, the house, etc. etc.  For most of us the only rest we get is when we finally close our eyes for the night.

Although my children are older now and don't need chauffeuring around anymore, it does not mean they don't need ME around.  They do but I am very fortunate to have children and a husband who understand the need I have to be with myself, my thoughts and to expand what I do or what I like to say, practice what I preach.

I arrived Friday evening and was greeted by one of the monks who showed me to my room which was lovely and quite nicely furnished.  I even had my own bathroom.   I put down my things and headed off to the main meditation room for the 7:00 session which lasted about 2 hours.  It was so peaceful watching the light change from day to night as the sun set behind the trees.  I was very tired and fell asleep almost immediately only to be awakened at about 3:30 by the sound of Annchelee who is the greatest Thai cook in the world!

Yes, 3:30 is when she began chopping, cutting and banging pots and pans for Saturday's lunch.  Hmm...I thought this was going to be sound free and relaxing!  I thought wrong.  I was up once again at 5:30 to similar sounds.  Remembering that morning meditation is at 7:00 I got out of bed around 6:00, showered, walked around the garden and headed off to meditation.  Breakfast was promptly at 7:30.  I have to say, it was worth being woken up ridiculously early.  Annchelee made a soup with tiny meatballs, rice and spices that I would gladly trade in my daily yogurt for. 

After breakfast I did something I never do.  I went back to sleep!  Yes!  It was amazing.  When does anyone take a nap after breakfast?  Don't say a word, I can answer for you.  NEVER!  I needed that sleep like I never needed sleep before.  It refreshed me so that I was able to meditate again at 10:00.  Afterwards we had a superb lunch, the one that began its preparation at 3:30 A.M.  The most delicious chicken dish I have ever eaten. 

I can't help but wonder if it was so tasty because it was or because I didn't have to cook!  Another thing that doesn't happen often.  Someone cooking for me!  After lunch we were free to meditate on our own which meant going back to the big meditation room but also walking the gardens, sitting in the sun and simply enjoying the surroundings.  The time went both slowly and quickly.  I allowed my thoughts to come and go as I sat in the sun feeling it warm my entire body. 

After a dinner of left overs which would be the envy of any foodie, we had a session of Qui Gong with a visiting monk from Montreal.  He gave us exercises that release stress, depression and anxiety.  Simple yet powerful movements.  I liked this particular monk very much.  Even though his life is so different than ours, he understood the stress of the average person and did not diminish it.  More meditation followed until the sun went down once again and then my comfortable bed called for me.

I had a most wonderful night's sleep.  I felt more relaxed than I have ever felt.  Up at 6:30, meditation at 7:00, breakfast at 7:30.  I was so full and not used to eating so much, (I couldn't stop!) that all I had was a banana and coffee.  I had assumed that the food would be all vegetarian.  Annchelee accepts requests but prepares as she sees fit.  My last and final meditation was at 10:00 this morning and I must admit, I was very excited for lunch.  Pad Thai.   Annchelee did not disappoint.  She made two versions.  One with chicken and egg and another one with lentils for a vegan meditator.  Both were fantastic. 

After lunch I sat in the garden for a little while and then went to the meditation room.  I thanked Annchelee for her delicious meals and hospitality and headed back home.  All in all this was a wonderful experience for me.  I am relaxed, calm and feel that my thoughts are clear.  I know I will be back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment